· Programming needs
· Federal budget
· Staff development
· 3rd Party Billing
· Curricula / Testing
· Manage all special
· Extended School Year (ESY)
· Federal Dispute Resolution
· House level I, II, and III
· Hold teacher contracts
· Building specific staff
· Teacher observations
· State funding
· Early childhood screening
· Teacher Assistance Team
· Staff Hiring
· Data retention cycle
Each school district provides services for federal setting I and II students. students with more severe needs attend level III programs within the cooperative. Those programs, and schools that host those programs, are listed below.
Birth - 3 years
Our Birth to 3 year program provides services in the child’s natural environment by our Part C teacher, who works in each school district in the consortium.
Each district uses a co-teaching model to provide special education services in the preschool setting. High needs pre-school students attend the Early Childhood programs in Adams and Alden.
Level III K-12 Autism, located in Leroy, MN.
Level III Elementary Emotional/Behavioral Disabilities (EBD) program located in Lyle, MN.
Level III Middle/High school EBD program, located in the Southland High school in Adams, MN.
Level III Developmental Cognitive Delay (DCD) programs. K-6 is located in Grand Meadow, MN, and 7-12 in Spring Valley.
High School transition program for students to practice work skills, and independent living skills in a structured environment to then phase into independence. These programs are located in Adams, Spring Valley and Alden.
The consortium reviews, and the board approves, the five year plan annually to prioritize needs and resource allocations to the following areas:
· Program Needs– Prioritize organization and remodeling needs of new and existing
· Staffing –Actively recruit staff to go back to school to gain licensure to prevent gaps in qualified staff.
· Curriculum Cycle– Member districts pilot and recommend curricula for SMEC to
purchase. Includes curricula for math, reading, social skills, and writing.
· Paperwork Reduction– Increase efficiency by organizing effective TAT, ECSE
screenings, assessment templates, and parent questionnaires.